Search
Close this search box.

Our History

Tullamore History
History

Tullamore History

You can read Tullamore History, presented by Michael Byrne in his book Tullamore Catholic Parish: a historical survey (Tullamore, 1987)

A description of the church in The Irish Builder

A description of the church in The Irish Builder

A description of the church in The Irish Builder (20 Oct. 1906) is worth reproducing. A large and important church was dedicated on Sunday week by the Most Revd. Dr. Gaughran, Bishop of Meath, at Tullamore. The church, which has but recently been completed, was designed by the late Mr

Tullamore History

Tullamore History

Tullamore Catholic Parish celebrates in October 2006 the centenary of a church which has been a significant architectural landmark for the town and district. Much more so it is for so many Tullamore people a place of devotion and recollection and of memories of joy and sadness over so many

The Frobenius Organ

The Frobenius Organ

The Frobenius organ at the Church of the Assumption is unique in its scale and history, it being the gift of the members of the Lutheran National Cathedral parish of Our Lady (Vor Frue Kirk) in Copenhagen when the instrument itself was less than thirty years old. The organ was

Church Windows

Church Windows

One of the special features of the church is of course windows from the Harry Clarke studios. Formerly situated in Rathfarnham castle, they were donated to the church by the Jesuits. These windows were removed from Rathfarnham castle in March of 1986 when the Jesuits decided to vacate building. Harry

Church Building

Church Building

St. Mary's Church of the Assumption in Tullamore was first erected on this site in the year 1802. The old church was demolished in 1902 an a new Gothic style Church erected to a design of the architect William Hague. Work on the present church actually commenced in 1898 and

advanced divider
Durrow History
History

Durrow History

Also, you can read the history of Durrow Church, directly to our website. History given by Michael Byrne, from his book, Dorrow in History; A celebration of what has gone before, Esker Press Tullamore, 1994

The Renovation Of Durrow Church

The Renovation Of Durrow Church

Towards the end of the 1980s it became apparent that all was not well with Durrow church. Large patches of dampness were appearing, especially in the wall near the graveyard. A major investigation of the church commissioned by the parish and carried out by Robinson, O’Keeffe and Devane showed that

Durrow History – St. Colum Cille’s Catholic Church, Durrow

Durrow History – St. Colum Cille’s Catholic Church, Durrow

1. Its History – Michael Byrne The catholic church now in use at Durrow dates back to 1831. Earlier churches in use were, first of all, that at the old abbey until the Reformation in the 1540s, when it became the property of the established Church of Ireland. It was