21 June 2018

The Residents of Convent View organised a special Mass and supper on Nov. 27th. to celebrate the
100th. anniversary of the completion of the first block of 12 houses on the road in 1915. The night
ended with a slideshow of photographs from the road presented by Michael Byrne. 

The celebrant was Father Rory O'Brien.

Convent View Timeline (By: Michael Byrne)

From Tullamore Tribune 26th. Nov. 2015

•Puttaghan is in use from the 1700s for town gardens for the big houses in the town of Tullamore and to provide bog plots - one of which is likely for Thomas Thornburgh. The street, now known as Park Avenue, is by the 1880s called Thornsberry Lane. This was likely the original road to the bog plots. The next junction at Bury Bridge (or Whitehall) was the old Dublin Road via Tyrrellspass to Kinnegad.

•Convent View, officially called Tyrrell's Road from at least the 1880s, is from the Kilbeggan bridge to the footbridge part of the townland of Tullamore with the ground from the footbridge to the entrance to the canal towpath part of the townland of Puttaghan.

•The Grand Canal was completed as far as Tullamore in 1798. The terminus is in the vicinity of the old warehouse beside Moore's house and the new apartments and is known as 'The Bell', after the bell used to advise of the departure of the boats.

•Lord Cornwallis, viceroy and commander in chief, disembarked at what is now Convent View, Tullamore on 27 August 1798 accompanied by English soldiers, all on the way to Longford to attack the French who had landed at Killala. French officers and soldiers under General Humbert surrendered at Ballinamuck and returned to France in September 1798 embarking for Tullamore from Tullamore.

•The first houses at Convent View or near Convent View are those erected by Thomas Acres as a continuation of his leasehold at William/Columcille Street. The site is now Beverly's hair salon and was Glynn's garage in the 1950s and 1960s.

•The canal harbour and hotel are completed with the new bridges, Bury or Whitehall bridge and Pound or Kilbeggan bridge.

•Connaught Street is replaced by Bury Quay, now Convent View from 1805

•A military magazine is erected at Convent View in 1808. Part of the curtain wall still survives at what is now 21 Convent View.

•The Mercy Convent and schools erected at Bury Quay/Convent Road from 1838.

•In 1838 the first ordnance map of the town is published and shows the townland as containing 486 acres. The southern boundary comes from Daingean Road, running through the middle of the former canal hotel and then pointedly excluding a field in Convent View on which the 12 houses were erected in 1914 and half of Clontarf Road. These excluded fields are reflected today in the thornburgh/ Park Avenue street and the split at Clontarf Road.

•The workhouse in Puttaghan/Ardan Road is completed in 1841•Puttaghan/Rapparee Alley suffers severely in Famine and post-Famine years. Many of the houses in the vicinity of the old Tyrrellspass Road from the junction with the Daingean Road (pre-dating the canal and Bury Bridge) are removed in probable clearances to avoid rates attaching to landlords.

•The magazine is used as a temporary workhouse in the Famine years as is the canal hotel.

•In the 1850s the magazine is sold off and part of it is used for housing until the 1950s. Prior to that time there were no houses on the street. Housing was concentrated around the Bury Bridge and on the Puttaghan/Ballydaly/ Rapparree Alley Road.

•In the 1850s decade passenger traffic ceases on the canal. The old hotel becomes a school and a parochial house.

•A terrace of five houses is built at Convent View on a site provided by the Egan family

•In 1911-12 two new second level schools are completed at Convent View.

•In 1914 12 new two-storey houses are completed at Convent View.

•Residents of Puttaghan and Davitt Street contribute to the First World War of 1914-18 by enlisting, and some are killed.

•In the mid-1930s the council completes 56 houses at Callary Street. Part of the scheme is on Convent View.

•A new footbridge is completed at Convent View to provide the town with access to a new park at what soon after becomes Park Avenue.

•In 1938 the Park Avenue scheme is completed

•In about 1955 four new houses are completed at Convent View to replace the houses which were built on part of the magazine site.

•In 1960 goods traffic ceases on the canal.

•In 1960 the boys of the Christian Brothers school move to High Street and soon after the 1912 'classical school' becomes the De Montfort Hall Youth Club.

•In 1962 the St Brigid's boys primary school is closed and the boys go to the new school at Kilcruttin

•From the 1960s the canal banks are ornamented with trees

•New housing is provided by the council at Kearney Park and Connolly Park in the years 1965-68

•The Thornsberry Estate is completed over the period 1972-76

•In 1974 the canal hotel is demolished and a new parochial house is erected 

•In 2009 47 new houses are provided at Puttaghan.

•A new eastern by-pass opens in Tullamore and includes a new bridge over the canal. The idea of having a new bridge at Puttaghan-Daingean Road is scrapped.

•In 2013 the old footbridge is removed and the new bridge completed. The new bridge cost about €0.4m. A second pedestrian bridge is erected beside the Kilbeggan bridge and a third at Clontarf Road. The three bridges with the 'boardwalk' at Tullamore DEW cost €2m.

•In May 2014 a monument was unveiled at the canal to missing Tullamore woman, Fiona Pender.